Skip to main content
Skip to and open main menu Home Modification Resources
Provided by the HMinfo Clearinghouse
Translating high quality research specific to better design and building practice
Translating high quality research specific to better design and building practice

Walk-In Bath (for ASD-3)

You must be logged in to post in this thread.

Post 1

Posted 10th June 2024 at 8:01 PM
Author Azam

Hi,

I have a client with ASD level 3 - profound who has severe challenging behaviours and does not like showers but likes baths. However, the client is obese (130 kg) and cannot sit gently due to a lack of muscle strength in lower limbs and complex cognitive impairment to understand risk issues when dropping the body to the floor, bath, etc.

The client's balance is poor, and dropping behaviours result in splashing water out of the bathroom when using the bath. This puts the client at risk of injuries and results in significant stress to carers. It has also resulted in significant environmental damage due to ongoing water exposure in non-waterproof areas.

Installing a walk-in bath might enable the client to access the bathtub easily. In contrast, the black seat on the Windsor walk-in bath may assist the client in sitting gently with less possibility of injuries. Unfortunately, this is not aviable for trial, so I have not been able to organise a trial to see the client's behaviour when using the walk-in bath.

I am also not sure if the dropping behaviour may result in damaging the Windsor walk-in bath. 

Any guidance would be greatly appreciated.

Is there any evidence-based research for bathroom modification for nonverbal people with challenging behaviours?

First 1 Last

Back to General